Daily exercise is essential--most people know that exercise is important and acknowledge it. But daily? Yep, the new recommendations are: in order to keep optimal health, daily exercise is essential!
When I first learned that there was a 30-minute program on PBS that actually translated into just 24 minutes of stretching and strengthening, including a warm-up, my lazy self was already sold. At the time, I believed that the only true way to get a fit and attractive body was to train for hours in the gym doing spinning, lifting, or aerobics. But I was sick of it. I didn't want to dedicate at least 10 hours per week to fitness. As a matter of fact, I was ready to concede that if it took that much time, I was ready to put it on the alter and sacrifice fitness in my life. I just didn't have the motivation. But I was willing to do 3 hours a week and 'Classical Stretch' by Essentrics was my answer. And so every day I did a 'Classical Stretch' session.
It's been several years since then and if I've failed at everything else, I have at least managed to stay on point doing at least 5 days a week of 'Classical Stretch' by Essentrics. Sometimes that is the only thing I have managed to do towards my fitness. At other times, I actually do things like biking, light lifting, walking, or playing disc golf in addition to 'Classical Stretch' sessions.
'Classical Stretch' is a dynamic stretching and strengthening program, designed to simultaneously do those two things in just 24 minutes per day. The program is done to relaxing or upbeat music that subliminally causes one to increase their own efforts without realizing that they are actually doing so. Another great bonus is the certified instructor--whether that be Miranda Esmonde-White on the T.V. series, dvds, or a certified 'Classical Stretch' trainer in your own city. The instructor goes through extensive training to understand the physiology of the body, the philosophy of the program, the correct mechanics of the exercises, and the proper sequence and flow of the workout. They are there to model the exercises for you and to also help you at your level of fitness with the goal to increase your fitness at your own pace.
|Miranda Esmonde-White, creator of 'Classical Stretch'|
1) My chronic, periodic back pain that used to leave me immobile for several weeks each year, has completely gone. This means that I now have 3 weeks of extra time that had previously been spent bed-ridden and incapacitated.
2) My frozen shoulder, of which condition is inherited from my Dad's side, has been dramatically improved. It turns out that we have an unusual spur on our shoulders that, as we age, gets calcified and grows even more, because of build-up, becoming extremely painful. Both my Dad and brother have gone through shoulder surgeries to have the calcification removed that causes painful bursitis and to replace the sockets that had become useless. I had started to get this condition, but Classical Stretch has completely erased that problem by keeping the shoulders properly lubricated and activated so that unwanted sediments don't collect in that area!
3) My quads are completely stretched out and have lengthened out and have become leaner to match my hamstrings. I started out already being able to do the splits, but not being able to bend my leg back further because my quads were tight. Now, I am able to bend my leg all the way back because my quads are longer and leaner.
|Before Classical Stretch|
|After Classical Stretch|
4) My waist has become leaner and has lengthened out to house my organs, allowing my stomach to be flatter and stronger.
5) My posture has become better and I walk with my shoulders back and my head up!
6) My seasonal depression is much better and I am more motivated and able to accomplish much more than before.
7) My focus and memory has improved because of the increased blood flow that happens each time I practice 'Classical Stretch'.
You judge--Is 24 minutes a day worth it to keep yourself young and vibrant at any age? My own answer is a resounding YES! Whether you are at a beginner level or at a more advanced level, 'Classical Stretch' has something for everyone.
Visit the Essentrics website to get the perfect workout dvd for your own fitness level. You can also sign up for online work-outs. Also get the New York Times bestseller, Aging Backwards, by Miranda Esmonde-White!