The time has finally arrived--the son is a college freshman. The days of worrying about whether or not he will actually graduate from high school are over. It was a bumpy ride and maybe I worried more than I should have, because in the end, it was he and he alone who motivated himself, made sure all his papers were in and completed, tests were passed and forms filled out. No one could have been more proud than I was when he walked out in his cap and gown and received that diploma.
And now, he's going to college and doing the same thing! But it's a whole new arena, this college gig. There is absolutely no one to hold his hand, giving him an extra break if his paper is late or if he doesn't make class because he is just too tired to get up. Will he make it? New stats give some interesting facts.
- It will most likely take longer than 6 years to get that degree. Only 56% of students earn a degree within 6 years. Life takes over and adulthood is more than going to class and doing homework!
- Tuition costs are higher than ever. And I won't even go into how much money it will take to graduate.
- Even though it is harder than ever for college graduates to find a good job, they still out-earn those without degrees. (source)
1. Time to start organizing yourself! Alas, mom won't be there to wake you up, remind you of appointments and other things you took for granted in high school. A great resource is Google Calendar because you can sync it to your phone, computer, tablet, or watch (if you're fortunate enough to own a smart watch!) You can color coordinate, add alarms and notifications, and make notes. It will be a lifesaver!
2. Make a great checklist and make it over time so that when you have an idea you can jot it down. Moving is a huge job, so making that checklist will cut down on the head slaps!
3. Get sturdy moving boxes. Whether you’re schlepping or shipping your room, box it up. Staples even bundles the boxes for you. Start out with an 8 pack of SmoothMove medium sized boxes. Then pick up a wardrobe box to save you the tedium of transferring your entire closet hanger by hanger. For packing ninjas, the Bankers Box SmoothMove Kraft Moving Box doesn’t even need tape—it’s magic!
4. Get Label Crazy. Your bathroom supplies box and late-night snack box look identical. You think you’ll remember what went where, but you won’t. Cue the labels. And if you’re shipping your boxes, you can label and ship all at once at Staples.
Lastly, if you want to make your new space unique and something that reflects you, check out
They have weekly specials and deals to make your space functional and comfortable. Also, Staples Copy and Print Center can personalize products to create one-of-a-kind decor with custom photo canvases, photo panels, phone covers and more!
With that being said, it is time to bring on the giveaway! Mom Buzz Media bloggers have partnered with Staples to bring you this $300 gift card Multi-Winner giveaway! 5 lucky readers will each get a gift card from Staples! One will get a $100 gift card and the other 4 will get $50 gift cards!
Good Luck!a Rafflecopter giveaway Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Mom Buzz Media. I received promotional items to assist with my post and promotions. This giveaway is in no way associated with any social media website and is Facebook compliant. 5 winners will be chosen at random and emailed. These winners will have 24 hours to respond or a new winner will have to be chosen. US Residents only please. Ends 11:59 CST on 8/27.